Grocery shopping is a part of everyones life and can be a fun and adventurous task for some. But it is also important to do grocery budgeting as it can save you a big deal of money. I go to the groceries once a week and see so many people filling up their carts like its for a month. Not knowing how much of it will be used and how much will be trashed.
I started doing budgeting after I learned a few lessons, my grocery bills were higher than my actual budget and often asked myself how to save money on groceries. I used to buy a lot of attractive and high priced items which were placed very strategically in the store and also used to pick up stuff just to try.Over time I realized how much food am throwing away and wasting money cause of my impulse buying habits and poor budgeting.
Personally more than the money I don’t like wasting on food and feel really sad when I have to throw away something that has gone bad or not consumed within its expiry date. I feel its very important to do a budget on this one which can save a lot of your time and money.
So, here’s a few changes I made in my grocery shopping habits which you must follow if you want to save your money:
(Read all the points one by one and think on each point for 5 seconds and it will help you answer how to save money on groceries.)
- Stick to a day: Make a particular day in a week for your grocery store visit. Preferably a weekday when there is less rush and you can give enough time to it. But It can be any day that suits your schedule. Sometimes you may need to go in case of emergencies which happens to all but try to stick on one day in most cases.
- Make a Budget : Budget is very important when you buy groceries make a budget of bulk items like paper towels, shampoos, hand wash, cleaners and other such items separate and foods, veggies, fruits and dairy products seperate. (Ex: I try to spend 50 dollars on the food and dairy every week and 60 to 70 dollars a month on other items.) But this completely depends on the size of your family and what everyones requirements are.
- Make a list: Before going to the store take a quick look at your pantry and give 3 to 5 minutes to see what’s there in your fridge and pantry. Look at every section and corner so that you avoid yourself to stock more. Also while you check your inventory make a list of things that are really required. ( Ex: if you see some frozen vegetable in your freezer or in your fridge which can be used in the coming week avoid piling up more and buy just 2 or 3 veggies that you like.) Always stick to it.
- Keep a check on Kitchen staples: Take a look at foods such flours, lentils, oils, snacks, condiments and spices to be refilled or stocked for the month. This will avoid your grocery visits a lot.
- Do a meal plan: Planning your meals can make you save a lot in the grocery store. Also try and use what’s already there in your pantry and you’d be surprised how much you can make with it.
- Cook large portions: For working people they can do a meal prep on weekends and cook large portions of gravies and soups and can use the leftovers. They stock these in the fridge or freezer and consume it instead of getting a take away from a restaurant or when you hungry and can’t cook.
- Save money with coupons: Try clipping those newspaper coupons or clicking the digital coupons on the store apps. I used to avoid doing this but when I realized how much i can save with it, i started using it more smartly. I also tried combining the store sales with the coupons which saved me 70% on my entire purchase.
So these are few things that I always stick to now when I plan my grocery visit. This has made my budgeting and meal planing more organized. Do follow these things and stay organized on your every grocery visit.